Sunday 5 April 2015

I never thought I would be the kind of person to not have friends.
Im not saying I'm the loneliest person int the world, but over the years I have come to realise that my friends circle (besides about 4 major people who I absolutely love dearly and who unfortunately happen to be scattered across the country and globe, and who are all completely separate from each other) is flippant and ever changing.
Growing up as a self professed Tomboy, and moving schools every other week, I wasn't one of those girls who had girlfriends. You know the "lets have a Girls night out" kind of friendship groups.
Don't get me wrong, I know some really great girls and I am able to create a night out, but if I was wanting to really turn to my girlfriends for some Sex and the City type of D and M time then I would be shit out of luck! (except like I said for those friends mentioned above)
Am I alone here? Or is it that the girlfriend groups that I so often see are generally made up of people who don't really care that much about each other, but more just wanting some company for the night ahead, and are more concerned with how they look and what guys they can attention from.
Or is it that I just missed the boat on creating life long friendships with the ladies due to my global exploration and inability to commit to people?
Either way I have realised that it is really important to create those bonds.
Encourage your kids to have friends, and even more so to keep those true friends through thick and thin, because you know one day they might really need a shoulder that isn't there spouse or family.

1 comment:

  1. Boo! and well of course you are good at writing! I recognise this is a few years old now and most likely you do not feel the same way as when you wrote this post but all the same I feel compelled to comment in response to this: " [are] girlfriend groups that I so often see generally made up of people who don't really care that much about each other, but more just wanting some company for the night ahead, and are more concerned with how they look and what guys they can attention from." I remember feeling exactly the same sense of despondancy and craving a more intellectual connection based on playfulness and fun for its own sake not the end goal of landing a dude. The good news is that it's never too late to make new friends who you connect with- funnily enough the person who taught me this is you xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete